View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 11:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You will be fine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I accept the premise of crew consistency. We try to do that in football as well. My question for that would be, as a green, rookie official, how do I tell an experienced partner that they need to call a tighter game. I don't want to get the reputation as a "know it all", but I also want the game to be safe and under control.

The other option is to call what I believe is my game and risk the perceptions that go along with calling a disproportionate number of fouls.

I am just trying to get a feel for the best, most professional way to handle a situation that I know will come up again. It was very uncomfortable to be caught off guard, I would like to try to mitigate that feeling by knowing how to approach it. Above all, I want to do a good job.
This is why we go to camps. This is why you read up on the rules. This is why we watch other officials work. And this is why we go to and join association meetings. You learn from other officials how to call the game and what to call and what not to call. You start calling things just to mirror other officials that you are working with, instead of the coaches and evaluators saying, "official A is not good," they will say, "this crew is not good." I believe in consistency, but consistency is better served when you try to be consistent yourself first. If you are that worried about consistency as a crew, find guys that you only want to work with. Other than that, have a good pregame. Figure out what the other guys call, but to adjust on the court might be too late. I have done many 3 Person games and there are games when one official is calling everything or one official is not a factor. That comes with the territory. There are many times that in a 3 Person game that nothing happens in one official's primary. Just work hard and call your own game.

Peace