View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't have gone into fair territory to make the call for three reasons:

1 - Going into fair territory can potentially put you in the way of a play or throw (LOOK OUT, BLUE!).
2 - Foul territory allows you to keep all 4 elements of the play: ball, base, runner, fielder.
3 - You don't want to run directly to where the catch will be made, because seeing a trap will become that much more difficult. Staying in foul territory will give you an easier side view of the catch/trap.

Instead, what I would have done was stay in 3-5 feet in foul territory, moving up along the line until I have the runner offset slightly to the left of where the catch will be made in my field of vision. This will keep everything I need in front of me, and will reduce the distance I have to cover to get back to the plate.

The bottom line is that you need to know your limits. It does you no good to get an extra 4 to 5 feet to call a catch in the outfield if it forces you out of position on a subsequent play. An extra 4 to 5 feet gains you almost nothing on a ball 175 feet from the plate, but an extra 4 to 5 feet can make a HUGE difference when calling a tag play at the plate. It will give you more time to react to where the tag will be made and allow you to get set. It sounds like you may have made the call on the move, which is never a good idea.

It's a matter of priorities. If you blow the call in the outfield, you'll get some grief, but not nearly as much grief as you'll get for blowing a call at the plate.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.