View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Help on positioning

Here's a play I would appreciate some feedback on as per my positioning.

Runners at 1st and 3rd, fly ball to medium depth left field. I'm PU and there is a dead spot in the lights where F7 is set up to catch the ball. I come out about half way between the plate and 3rd about 5-10 feet in fair territory to get the best view of the catch.

Because its dark at the spot of the catch I hesitate a second to make sure of the catch before calling the out (58 y/o eyes at work). By that time R3 has tagged and is coming home and I have to retreat to make the call at the plate from fair territory in front of the plate.

Of course on the tag play the runner goes to the catcher's left meaning the catcher is between me and the runner and I see for the shortest possible slice of time between elbows and torsos what appears to be a momentary juggle by the catcher after the tag, so I call safe.

I'm comfortable with my call based upon what I saw but what I'm wondering is whether I could have somehow got into a better position to make that call. I could have made it into foul territory if I hadn't come as far up the line toward 3rd, but I reacted to get into the best position to call the catch and of course had to hesitate due to the lights.

BTW this was 2 man, i.e., if it was 3 man it would be a whole different story. Is this just one of the tradeoffs you get with 2 man coverage.

Other than that play, I had a great game at PU.

Regards,
Mike