View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
That'll be nice to see when you each start calling fouls and violations in each other's primary area.
If that's what you've taken from our comments, so be it. It couldn't be further from the truth. I think I can safely say, that none of us 'there was contact brothers' would argue that calling fouls and violations outside of one's primary, ON A REGULAR BASIS, is ok. This was 1 of 33 fouls for the game. I don't remember exactly, but I doubt there were any other egrecious 'out of primary' calls during this particular game. Now if this particular play happened 2 minutes into the game, I doubt there would have even been a thread started on this.

It was mentioned earlier that some people on here bash certain D1 officials for calling out of primary. True, but those particular officials seem to make a habit of doing this, rather than it being the exception. That is the difference. If this had been the 3rd or 4th 'out of primary' call that the L is the OP had made in this particular game, then my opinion might be different. But I don't think anyone here can say that the L had a habit of calling out of his primary, rather it truly was an exception call that he felt needed to be made.

Some here also questioned whether or not the L actually saw the play, but rather guessed because the KU player went to the floor. Do you really think that these guys make it to this level by guessing on calls? I don't. Now I don't know if John Adams agreed with the call or not, but I'm sure that the L could have easily explained to Coach Izzo what he had on that play had he been asked.

At the end of the day, a foul is a foul. If I miss a foul right in front of me, and by chance my partner 25ft away happens to get a good look because the sea of players happened to part just at the right time so he could see the play clearly, then I'm nothing more than thankful that he comes in and gets the call. Again, these are EXCEPTION SITUATIONS. Maybe I had an unexpected sneeze at the wrong time, or maybe had a brain fade, or maybe something else on the court distracted me for a split second. There are a bunch of circumstances why I, or any official, at any level, might miss a call.

Just another reason why we don't need officials peeing, figuratively speaking, on the court marking their territory. We all know, at any given time, what our primary coverage area is, so give that a rest.