Thread: Post Defense
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBracher View Post
I'm in college right now and play rec basketball on a daily basis. I never played high school basketball but I consider myself pretty knowledgable in basketball rules. The one dispute that seems to come up a lot when playing is what counts as a defensive foul in the post. I've always been told that a forearm and a hand on the offensive players back isn't a foul but two hands is. A lot of people I guard argue that both are fouls. Could anyone tell me for sure?
The question we all need to ask ourselves is why don't we call more fouls on the offensive player in the post...we sometimes let them push, hold, and displace the defender and we call that "posting up," it is also a foul. Backing down a defender, arms outside the framework of the body holding the defender so they can't front, displacing the defender on the initial post up. If we are going to call a knee in the backside the moves an offensive player 2 feet we need to call fouls on the offense when the above mention items occur also.