View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
The wording of 10.4.1 was changed to coincide with the pitcher's lane. I believe that the pitcher's lane was added to the field markings because of the many complaints of illegal pitches not being called and because the complaints were true a large percentage of the time.
I stand corrected about calling by the book. Thanks.

As for why the lanes were added, we probably can all agree that the WCWS was a major factor in the rule change, as it always seems to be. The lines are a good tool, while they last. It wouldn't bother me if the lines were done away with, since I have called the violation without them, but, if we continue to have this lane, maybe the rules should require the grounds crew to redraw them at a given interval, as long as it does not delay the game too much.

Some coaches are asking that they be re-drawn when particular opposing pitchers enter the game. Some requests have been granted, some denied, depending on the umpire's discretion. This has led to some issues and even an ejection. Not sure what the answer is, but hopefully this will be looked at before next season.