View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
The FED Interp:

SITUATION 15: With runners at first and second and one out, the batter hits a bounding ball to left field. The runner from second touches third and is obstructed advancing to home. The obstructed runner then interferes with the catcher attempting to make a play on the runner from first advancing to third base. RULING: The penalties are enforced in the order in which the infractions occurred. The runner advancing from second is awarded home. Following the enforcement for the obstruction, the interference is penalized. The runner from first is declared out and the batter-runner is returned to the base he legally occupied at the time of the interference. Had the interference been malicious in nature, the obstructed runner would be declared out in addition to the out on the runner from first. (2-22-1, 2-21-1a, 3-3-1n Penalty, 8-4-2e, 8-4-2g)

Pete Booth

But is this different because the runner at home has already scored? I know it doesn't specify in the case play, but if the runner interferes after crossing the plate then he cannot be called out so we call out the runner on whom they were playing.

In the OP the runner has not crossed home, but has interfered. Does the obstruction award give him a license to interfere? Is he not liable to be put out if he interferes even though we have awarded him a base. There are other scenarios in which bases are awarded but runners can still be called out.

I don't know the answers, but am trying to find a specific rule or interp or AO that answers this one way or the other.

I know we cannot make calls based on the coaches reactions, but I think calling the runner out would be a much easier sell than calling him safe even though he interfered while he was protected.