View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
The logic that has always made sense to me is that if you're watching your partner's primary, who is watching yours?
I hate that logic. That is a great tool for a first-year official working AAU games who has to learn not to follow the ball all over the court at the expense of his primary, but will completely stunt development as an official. At many points during a basketball game, there is a play that transcends lines on a court or a map. You have to be responsible for your primary but understand what is going on with the basketball and the defense to identify and officiate the plays as a crew.

As a Lead, I am looking out of my primary when there is an onball screen or secondary defender attacking the ball. I must pick that up and the play associated with it to help my partner, who has the ball and the pirmary defender.

As a Center or Trail, I manage my primary and am responsible for it, but am always aware of scoring plays and secondary defenders coming from my area. If I have the best look on those, I take them. That's the definition of being a strong C and T.

Big difference between poaching and having the best view of a play.