View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:25pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
This seems to be a touchy subject, please allow for my miniscule (couldn't think of a smaller descriptive word) understanding of this topic. Why is it a no-no for one official to tweet, and make a call in another officials primary area? There are no absolutes or always in officiating. I have thanked many a partner after calling something in my PCA that I missed

Is there a rule, written or unwritten? Written... floor coverage.

Is it because of the possible visual implication to players, coaches, & fans that one referee is compensating for the deficiency of other(s) referees? Could be...

Is it simply because of egos (stay out of my pond)?
Sometimes...

Because it doesn't seem to make much sense to me. For example (oh oh ) If durring the battle for a rebound under the basket, A-5 punches B-5 in the stomach and the official behind the end line doesn't see it, but other official does, is other official just supposed to ignore it because he doesn't want to annoy his partner? Negative, non-bball contact can be called by anyone, anywhere on the court.

Officials are in charge of every inch of the court, so why not make the call if you see it? If you're constantly looking all over the court, who is watching your primary?

If the offensive team over loads one side of the court, or if they go "4 down" (4 players across the end line) then what? Does the other official(s) just take that possession off becasue there's nobody in his area? Expanding your primary when nothing is going on is not a bad thing.

I realize that this way of doing business has been around way longer than me and my lack of understanding it. I want to understand.
Maybe this will help coach:
CSBOA: Mechanics Study