View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
A lot is confidence. Do you have the confidence to call the game the way it is being called. If you don't like the way it is called, take a deep breath and blow on that little black thing in your mouth. Know what you will call a foul on and what you won't. It is not a matter of the partner calling or not calling. That is why we switch on fouls. So you both have a chance to make calls. Each game is different. I sometimes tell the captains, "We will call the game as it is played. If you play basketball and make an effort to put on a good show, we won't interupt the game. If you decide you want to play rough, then so will we. We can blow the whistle all night long if that is what you want."

I have called games that have a total of 10 fouls and I have called games that have a total of 60 fouls. It is all a matter of the game being played that night. My partner has nothing to do with it. He is my partner and we talk during the game. We get on the same page and we know what we are looking at. If we have a problem, we address it. If the game is going well, we pat ourselves on the back and we don't spoil a good game. As veteran, I am responsible to make sure that we do talk. As the non veteran, I ask questions of the veteran. I want to talk during timeouts and at halftime and find out what we are doing right and wrong. Should we tighten, should we loosen our calls? Is it right? As you gain experience, you gain confidence on how you handle the game. You will become more adept at finding the right feel for the game. Have a good season.