Thread: Test time?
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 10, 2002, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to joshlamerritt
Our test was open book as well. We took it as a group after the rules clinic, then we could retake if we didn't like out score at the next meeting (higher score counts). This is the second board I have been with. Previous board was not open book.

I am not sure which way I like better. Both have advantages. At my previous board, I had to do alot of studying prior to the test, which is obviously advantagous. However, I did like the way my current board administered the test because we were not only able to use the rule book and learn specific cases that way, but were also able to group experienced officials with inexperienced officials and discuss the test as we were taking it, which gave the newer officials some good pratical application. The only drawback to this, in my opinion, was the officials that are no longer "newbies" but also aren't varsity officials - the middle-of-the-pack officials - seem to ride the coattails of the varsity officials and don't really seem to want to understand the complex rules on their own.