View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Ditto. I learned this on this forum this year. I used to say "Let it hit", but now I just use the "One shot" or "Two shots" or "One and one".
One of my minor headaches is when partners say "wait til it hits the rim."

I always said "let it hit" prior to this season. I decided (due in large part to input from here) that less is more. Now, I just say the number.

"One."
"Two."
"Three

I figure I don't even need to say "shot" since they all know why they're standing there.

If players are inching on or over the line prior to the ball being handed in, or if I see a player on the first of two with his toe on the line, I'll add "watch your toes" to the mix.

I also agree with the lady from the west coast; lower levels sometimes require a bit extra to keep the headaches to a minimum.

And, FWIW, I think it's easier on the hit since there's a sound to go with. That said, I don't care either way. I played on the release, and started reffing middle school that way in college. I quit for a few years, and it was on the hit since then.

It probably belongs in the same category as the coach requesting a timeout. Might be better with a change but it's not likely to happen.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Mar 30, 2009 at 08:53pm.