View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Dispelling myths, one commentator at a time

Funny story from an end of season youth travel league tournament I worked this past weekend.

Had 2 games on Saturday and in one of the games we had a coach who on every rebound was pleading for the infamous "over the back" foul. At a deab ball I got a chance to go and speak with him and ask him to stop pleading for "over the back" all the time and explained to him that it is not a real rule yada yada.... My conclusion to the conversation was the following: "Over the back is a rule myth perpetuated by televison sports commentators who don't know the rules"

Fast forward to Sunday... I arrive for my games and go in to the changing area and see the guy I worked with Saturday. He tells me he had the same team on Sunday and the coach asked him again about "over the back". My partner gave him the same explanation as I did and moved on. He then tells me who the coach was.....

The one and only Rece Davis of ESPN.

I have done some of his kids Little League games but didn't recognize him at all on Saturday.

Maybe this one little dead ball moment will send a wave of change through the sports commentary world..... NOT