View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 27, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
If you go to eofficials.com then go to the womens ncaa section. There are a bunch of online videos stressing this exact move. The head of the women's officiating is telling the ncaaw officials to make this traveling call on the spin move where the offensive player goes off two feet after lifting the pivot foot.

It is strange that the rules for ncaam and ncaaw are different(at least it seems that way and I do know that they are not supposed to be except in a few instances).

The holding is another area of difference. The online videos stress that when hands are put upon a player then it should be called a foul and they show an example when the foul is not called the offensive player then elbows the defender and the first hands foul not being called caused the second foul by the offensive player.
The rules are the same. John Adams this year has been exasperated by official's failure to call traveling well at all. Direct quote:

4. I'm not sure what our problem with traveling is. I believe most Division I
referees can recite the rule and understand it so I am left with the assumption that they don't get in good position to see the whole play start, develop, and finish. Remember, the trail official can help with travels in the low post!

I'm not sure I agree with him on one part - that most officials understand what traveling is. I remember I did a simple up and under move as a demonstration at a clinic where I lifted my pivot foot, released the ball on a shot before it touched the floor again. Just about every men's official there said traveling (including a final 4 official) while most women's officials there said legal play. Another official (D1 Tournament) at a clinic told coaches that if it looked funny it would get called. I think the biggest problem is that they don't work on improving in this area.