View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
It's listed specifically in the 2007 MLBUM. I think it's been a relatively new mechanic up here in MN anyway. It was taught to immediately ask, but this mechanic is better...if he goes, BU should simply signal yes he went. The other side of it is that the batter/runner should be coached to sprint it out either way in this case...much like the infield fly rule where it's stated that the players are responsible for knowing the rule regardless of whether or not IFF is called
There is only so much an umpire can do when relying on what a player should do. The sooner a call is resolved, the better for everyone.

For the OP--rendering a decision on the unasked appeal is absolutely necessary. I would say the voluntary strike is most crucial with bases loaded and an uncaught potential third strike. If the batter held, then announcing such ensures that the defense knows that the advancing runner must be tagged. If he didn't, then the defense knows that there is a force and the offense knows that the batter is now in jeopardy.

As for it being a relatively new mechanic in MN, I'm the only one I've ever seen use it, and that was in a B-league game back in '05.