View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 26, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I assume you're the defender in these cases?

There could be two possibilities - first, is the defender jumping toward the offensive player? Or, are they jumping straight up or obliquely with the shooter? If the answer to the first question is yes, then the defender is more responsible for the contact, even if they jumped first.

The other possibility is you are seeing it in rec leagues, where there are probably less-experienced officials. They could be so focused on the shooter that they do not see where the defender started, or what direction they were jumping, and only see the end result of the contact with the shooter. This type of vision does often improve with experience.
And sometimes not, as evidenced by the foul called in the last minute of St. Mary's - SDSU last night. Post player pump faked the defender, the defender remained in his vertical plane, the offensive player initiated the contact, scored and went to the line for 1. It happens especially when you lose focus for an instant. I've had plays where I realized I was not officiating the defense and was not sure who was responsible for contact. I try to say the defenders' #'s in my primary as I am officiating to stay focused on officiating the defense.