View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the help on the Batting Out of Turn. Its a big help. I guess I just need it to happen, experience it, and hopefully get it right. Or, bone it, and learn from it. As a "new" ump, its one of those things I guess Ive let "get in my head" and Im letting it bug me too much. I guess try to be prepared and not let it worry me so much.
Anywaaaaaaaaay.......this ones kinda for fun, but something Ive noticed and thought about. And interestd on getting some different takes.
I assume there is a "basic", called strike, mechanic. And a called 3rd strike mechanic. I guess Im relating to someones signature. Everyone has got one, but they are all a bit different, and each person puts their own "stamp" on it.
Ive especially noticed (mostly the pros on TV) especially on called 3rd stirkes, there are many different ways of "ringing em up". Ive been doing it a certain way for a while now. The best way I can describe it is, if you can picture it, a reverse pull on a slot machine. Arm in close to the body, fist at the shoulder, then "punching" down, with a loud stiiiikkee. If there is a 2nd called strike, I would do the same motion and say "TWO!". And if there is a called 3rd strike it would be "threeeeeeeeeeeee" standing up and reaching out in front (I know all you vets get the picture)and yanking back. Rip and tear is how Ive heard it described. What do you all think?
Ive worked some travel ball games (12 yr olds) the past few weeks, with a "veteran" guy, who I have been watching trying to learn. He says Im coming along fine, except for my strike call. Says I need to stop what Ive been doing, and, when I call a strike, stand up, and in one motion, the call and arm movement in the same motion. Not the call, and THEN the arm movement. And the arm motion HAS to be pointing out to the side.
Like I said, just an observation, but it seems, the called strike, especially the 3rd, is where each ump can put his own little spin on things, kinda like a signature.
Now, I know it cant be like Leslie Neilson in Naked Gun, but I think you all know what I mean............so, whatcha think?? Jeff