Thread: Hats
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Hardly a "tale" in my part of the country. Most all of the upper level umpires in the Portland area wear 8 stitch caps when working the plate.

Here is kind of what I tell umpires that are having "caps for laps" problems:

1) Your mask is much more important than the number of stitches in your cap.

2) If you use a "low profile" type mask you'll never be able to wear an 8 stitch cap.

3) Make sure your mask is worn loosely -- when you look down at the ground your mask should easily swing away from your chin.

4) When you buy a mask the FIRST thing you should do is remove the harness from the inside "ear" connections and move that connection to the outside of the ears.

5) Your mask should "hang" from the bill of your cap . . . under no circumstance should you wear a mask snuggly. When you take a foul ball off directly off your mask your mask should either twist around your head or even pop clear off . . . think of what happens when a Forumla 1 car crashes . . . parts fly everywhere . . . this disapates the energy of the crash (foul ball).

6) Learn (and practice) pulling your mask away from your face and then turning the chin area upwards to clear your cap. Practice, Practice, Practice.

7) Always where a slighly smaller cap when working the plate.
Thanks Tim. Looks like I need a 4 or 6 stitch since I'm using a low profile mask.

Anyone have experience with a 6 stitch with a low profile? Is it doable?