View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

You asked your question with the background of "I'm asking about an girl from another team," and to be honest, you're throwing up all sorts of warning flags to us umpires. All of us umpires have had questions like this before, and it always turns into a "he said, she said" match with some other coach. Typically, I refuse to get involved in these kinds of questions. It never ends well (often with some coach yelling at some other coach saying, "See? I told you so!"

Look, speaking as someone who has umpired kids' games and coached kids' games, I'm just trying to save yourself a whole lot of grief by keeping you from going down a spiral path towards frustration and despair. You're asking for rule interpretations in a game played by 6U and 8U kids. Many of these kids just learned to tie their shoes last year, and most umpires will tell you that it's tough to find some 10U pitchers who can get it NEAR the plate. You're setting your expectations way too high.

Cajun hit the nail on the head - a lot is missing when you're reading something on a forum, such as tone, inflection, etc. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRafter
In closing, if it makes you feel better to judge people who selflessly devote their own personal time, share their knowledge and give to our communities, than continue on with your insults and conclusions. I am very disappointed that so-called professionals are reacting this way.
Two things. First, we never claimed to be professionals, though most of us here are, or we are trying to be. There are greatly varying levels on this forum; some call NCAA Division I-A, some call local rec league or college intramural games.

Second, what do you think WE do? We devote our own personal time, share our knowledge and give to our communities as well. I spent my first 4 years of umpiring doing kids' games for free in order to give back to my community that taught me much about softball and fair play. This year, I'll spend more hours and dollars training and researching for this sport than you will as a coach (not uncommon for me to claim over $1500 in expenses on my tax returns in any given year).

Lastly, if you come onto a forum to ask a question, be prepared for a response. A human response. We're not a computer from Star Trek that just spits out answers. Frankly, I think we're all a bit shocked that a coach is even attempting to find out if a girl who's 7 or 8 years old is pitching 100% within the rules, when there are hundreds of college pitchers who aren't within the rules.

As a former kids coach who later changed his uniform, relax and let them play.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Fri Mar 20, 2009 at 08:10am.