View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

I completely agree with "let them play and fun." That is our goal as parents and coaches aka teachers. As someone who grew up playing softball surrounded by supportive, no pressure, parents and excellent coaches from my rookie years through attending college on a softball scholarship, all I want to do is give back to my children and others.

I disagree with your statement that it is not even a sport at this age, 7-8, after 2-4 seasons of softball. IMO teaching fundamentals early on is important. It can be done in a fun way through drills that kids truly enjoy. I have seen and have watched the kids improve, gain confidence and become more and more excited as they improve and learn. At what point do you feel it is a appropriate to start teaching fundamental mechanics and basically reinventing the wheel.

Again, I feel completely misunderstood and a bit offended that I people think I need to take a chill pill or whatever. I know I am good with the children, respectful towards other coaches and umpires. I am appreciated by the parents who watch their children have fun and learn the game. My daughter is happy and has fun with the social and learning aspects of the game.