View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter View Post
Most likely the member of the Men's Basketball Committee assigned to the site.

Maybe, but I certainly hope not. I don't see how those people are qualified to rate the officials?

Three Appointed to NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee - NCAA.org

"The 10-member committee consists of athletics directors and commissioners of Division I member institutions and conferences and oversees administration of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, including the selection, seeding and bracketing of teams for the tournament. The committee is the primary NCAA contact with CBS Sports, the National Association of Basketball Coaches, and other key basketball organizations. Committee members oversee selected preliminary round sites, as well as the Final Four, and assign officiating crews for each game of the championship. The committee also serves as stewards for the good of the game, monitoring and taking action as appropriate regarding issues affecting college basketball

Current committee members include chair Mike Slive, commissioner of the Southeastern Conference; Mike Bobinski, director of athletics at Xavier University; Dan Guerrero, director of athletics at UCLA; Jeff Hathaway, director of athletics at the University of Connecticut; Lynn Hickey, director of athletics at the University of Texas-San Antonio; Chris Hill, director of athletics at the University of Utah; Laing Kennedy, director of athletics at Kent State University; Stan Morrison, director of athletics at the University of California-Riverside; Tom O’Connor, director of athletics at George Mason University; and Gene Smith, director of athletics at Ohio State University."

Since I don't see John Adams listed, it must be the case that the task of assigning the officials is delegated to him. Perhaps he also gets to pick his observers.