View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Double Whistle sitch...........

I'm C at table during inbounds under hoop by H after made hoop by V (no kidding). Small gym. Inbound pass is taken by H team guard and play advances right at me. T is below FT line. Train wreck as (my opinion) V defender slides in front of ball handler. It is within 5 ft. of me. I put fist up and give the big block sell. I turn to table (2 ft. away) and report. As I begin moving toward becoming new lead I pass V's bench and hear V's HC say, "He's got a charge". Oh, sh!t....I turn to see T coming toward me. I never heard his whistle (Loud AND small gym) or saw him in the picture. "I've got a charge", he said. I tell him "The play is coming at me, I'm right there"...he says "Yes but I'm trail". He is also the R, he says to go with double foul since we both think we're right. We inbound with POI and away we go. I realize that trail should have this but does proximity matter? The crash was severe enough that I wanted to make sure A whistle was blown. Had T passed I would have looked like an idiot for not blowing this since they almost landed on me. Or had I momentarily withheld the tweet waiting for T it may have appeared like my call would have been a mental coin flip. Whenever we pregame we discuss a double whistle, and in the case of a block/PC situation we will defer to the L , since the play is usually going towards him. We are not a regular crew, tournament time mixes officials up. The T (and R) has a lot more 3 man work than me. Input?

Last edited by zebra44; Mon Mar 16, 2009 at 03:41pm.