View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

not all of Virginia, apparently....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroyal View Post
It was a LONG stretch to even suggest the issue at home, but the logic is getting all messed up here. I don't know what else to say, gents. I've got two different interpreters in two different states (Virginia & Missouri) that are telling me to "no call physically or verbally until something happens, by the offense, by going back to touch the base or defense, by appealing".
Don't know about Missouri, but I'm a current Virginia umpire, and not only are you in the minority opinion on this board, but there's not been any Virginia interpretation that I've heard contrary to what everyone's trying to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroyal
Maybe it depends on the area your are in or your likes and dislikes for FED rules. I am a little thrown off, though, by some that would toss the FED book or just pick and choose what to rule on. I would be a little miffed should a coach ask me to rule using OBR or MLB while working a FED game. FED game, FED rules.
You're also now making the mistake that the coaches know the rules. At all. Or that they know the specific differences between OBR and NHFS. OR that they know, or give a $%^#, about what the FED umpire manual says. If they want to argue, they will argue.

And grabbing the crappy end of the stick by insisting on this will lead to more trouble than its worth. You stand there, signaling nothing, and both coaches will yell and scream, and the one that "loses" the call will yell even more.