View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to mroyal Send a message via MSN to mroyal Send a message via Yahoo to mroyal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What *usually* happens when BR beats the throw to first (touching the base) by a step or two?

The umpire gives a casual "safe" sign.

That's what should happen when BR beats the throw to fitst (missing the base) by a step or two.

To do otherwise is to make a "non verbal statement" that "something is wrong" and that would tip off one or both teams.

The plate is different because the runner can't be tagged for being "off the base" after touching it. So, you can't give the "safe" sign when there's a missed tag and a missed touch of the plate.

Actually, to be precise, if the runner "overslides" second (either touching or missing the base), the umpire shouldn't make any call, because the runner is still liable to be out on the play. So, it's actually the "safe" call at home that's the exception to the rule. The "no call" is the same as any tag play at second or third.
It was a LONG stretch to even suggest the issue at home, but the logic is getting all messed up here. I don't know what else to say, gents. I've got two different interpreters in two different states (Virginia & Missouri) that are telling me to "no call physically or verbally until something happens, by the offense, by going back to touch the base or defense, by appealing".

Maybe it depends on the area your are in or your likes and dislikes for FED rules. I am a little thrown off, though, by some that would toss the FED book or just pick and choose what to rule on. I would be a little miffed should a coach ask me to rule using OBR or MLB while working a FED game. FED game, FED rules.