View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 16, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroyal View Post
I tend to disagree with those who would give a "safe" signal for someone who has not legally acquired the base. Who are we rewarding for not following the rules? The rulebreakers? I would hope not.

FED Umpire Manual (pg 35) "...When an umpire observes a base running error, he should make no verbal or non-verbal statement that could tip either team." (I think someone mentioned that already, but it was a good starting point.)

Two scenerios in my mind here. If its a bang-bang of a play and I clearly see BR missing the bag - BR is out! If it's not that close, I do nothing - as the manual says. 1) I wait for either the defense to make a live ball apeal by touching the base or BR before he aquires the base - BR is out! 2) I wait for BR to aquire the base - BR is safe and I do nothing.

Rule 8-2: Penalty (Art. 1-5): For failure to touch a base (advancing or returning),...,the runner may be called out if an appeal is made by the defensive team. The defensive team may appeal during a live ball immediately following the play...A live-ball appeal (8-2-6d) may be made by a defensive player with the ball in his possession by tagging the runner of touching the base that was missed..."

Our job is not to allow the rules to be broken. As per the manual, no signal is given on a missed base. Let the teams figure it out. Our job is not to make the BR safe when he is not.

During my training in Virgnia, it was always emphasised to limit the amount of stress you put yourself in. Why would I want to "safe" a runner when he didn't legally aquire the base (sorry, running over the base does not constitute touching it) and then bang him on an appeal? That's an argument I'm not going to have.
But the runner did legally acquire the base and can only be put out on appeal. You have made a post where you make it quite clear you have no intention of listening to anybody else on the board and are going to use the mechanics that you deem fit to use even if it is incorrect. Best of luck to you.