View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

To clarify (if possible). The old ASA rule was that the coach had to inform before he crossed the foul line of his intent to remove F1, or it was a CC. Somewhere along the way, the foul line standard went away, and he only had to inform of his intent to remove F1 before talking with any defensive player. Now, he is allowed to talk with the players first and then decide.

As I said, I belive that the intent was that it was still a charged conference if the coach does NOT remove the pitcher, and she ends up being removed by rule due to the 4th CC.

But, the definition of a charged conference (Rule 1 and RS 9) does not distunguish WHY the pitcher was removed, only THAT the pitcher was removed. Which brings us to the logical trap. I say it is a catch 22 (ala Joseph Heller).

In order to be excused from combat flight duty, Yossarian must submit an official medical diagnosis from his squadron's flight surgeon, demonstrating that he is unfit to fly because he is insane. In order to get the diagnosis, he must approach the surgeon to ask for one. However, an insane person cannot believe or suspect that they are insane. Thus, to be recognised as insane, a person must not ask for an evaluation, because doing so implicitly shows that they suspect themselves to be insane. But, if a person does not ask for an evaluation, they cannot be recognised as insane because the evaluation is the method by which such recognition would occur. Thus, nobody can ever classify themselves as insane (even if they genuinely are), and thus nobody may ever use an insanity diagnosis to escape flying combat missions.

For a pitcher to be removed by rule requres that there be a 4th charged conference. For there to be a charged conference, the pitcher must not be removed, because if the pitcher is removed, it is not a charged conference. Therefore, no pitcher can ever be removed by rule.

No, Mike, I'm not serious about the intent. But, it is what the rule actually says.