View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 06, 2002, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Just for the record, anyone who pursues knowing the details for their state, might also want to ask what would happen if a coach was ejected from a game at which he was spectating.

We had a situation here in Oregon where a varsity coach was sitting in the stands during the JV game, ref made a call that coach didn't like, coach got heated and started yelling a lot, ref tossed him, then said that since the coach had to remain out of the gym for the rest of the night, he couldn't coach the varsity game. There are a number of questions about the incident but the relevant one is, was the ref right about the all-night extension of the ejection? The coach didin't think so, called the commissioner (on a cell phone from the parking lot!) and the commissioner spoke with the ref, who was not doing the varsity game anyway, and let the coach do the var.

Unfortunately, it made the paper the next day.
I, personally, think this is up to the host management.

I would view this as a case of a fan getting the boot. If the host managers want to let him back in, who am I to get in the way? The coach was not partaking in his official duties when ejected, so you apply a different standard. Now, I would hope the host school would apply the same rules to him as they would the leather lung dad who gets the gate, but it is not up to us to enforce or lose sleep over. This situation is not the place for the officials or a commish. It is up to the host school and the fan. If the fan happens to be the coach...