View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 01:09pm
Is this a legal title?

I opined many years ago that "FPSR" is a misnomer that causes undue confusion. "Force-play baserunning rule" is what it really is.

If a runner doesn't slide, I just watch to see if he moves in a direction away from the fielder. If he does, I generally don't care if "interference" occurs because the fielder followed him--I let it go without calling a violation because I don't think it is one.

Infielders can and do move in whatever direction is required to cause contact with the runner. Have you ever seen F6 several times let his momentum carry him through the bag when taking a throw from F4, and then on the occasion when R1 veers off toward the infield side of the bag on a FP, F6 decide he's going to stop on the bag, then push off in the direction of the runner when making the relay?

In the OP, he stayed on his feet, went straight to the bag and altered the play AT THE BAG. That's interference. If he wants to go straight in, he must slide (note qualifier). While he never "must slide", if he chooses not to, he MUST move in a direction away from the fielder to avoid being at risk of an interference call. He didn't do that here. If he DID do that (either sliding or on his feet), and contact or alteration occurred because the fielder followed him, I let it go.

In Jenkins' 11:47 post, I'd call a violation in all four instances. I don't think any of it is black and white, though.