View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post

This play says nothing about a pass either. I understand there are people who can't be wrong but you simply are. I don't need to consult anyone and your snotty sarcasm just points out that if you feel the need to attack me then you've already lost the argument. Read the case book play and understand that they are calling this IUH, not me.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, kdf5, but you're being somewhat myopic. I have no interest in attacking you, nor am I concerned with "winning" any argument. However, if I understand your position as being: that a defender is somehow prohibited from initiating contact with an opponent who is between him and a RUNNER, whether or not this opponent is an eligible receiver, or not, as long as the opponent poses the possible threat of blocking the defender, you are absolutely and completely WRONG.

The key to whether or not any contact is legal is whether the defender's opponent is in a position to reasonably be a threat to block, i.e. is between the defender and the runner, or has gone past the defender, or is moving away from the defender either of which eliminates the threat of the opponent being a potential blocker.

Once the ball has been thrown is a different matter, at that point the runner has become a passer initiating the pass interference restrictions against the defense, which are entirely different than when the runner, is still a runner.

If you were attempting to defend the notion that a "potential receiver" is somehow immune from contact beyond the NZ before a pass is thrown, you are absolutely wrong. As stated some time ago, if the defender is skilled enough to keep an opponent between himself and the runner, (keeping the threat of being blocked alive) he may absolutely initiate contact to defend against being blocked, the entire length of the field. Once the opponent either gets past the defender, or moves away from him, the defender may not initiate contact, as the threat of being blocked evaporates.

The decision, as whether the contact is legal, or not, is made exclusively and unilaterally by the covering official. It is a judgment call unique to each play, and each contact.