View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 11, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
There's no rule that says time HAS to come off, and there's no rule that says time SHOULDN'T come off.

If you use logic though, some time has to come off. In Padgett's thread, "Suggested Fed Rule Changes", I suggested a change that if the official deems that the TO request was made just as possession was made, a set amount of time comes off the clock: 0.3s (for those clocks that show tenths of a second).

I am 100% against putting 0.6 back on the clock. Besides, the clock should be stopped when you give the stop the clock signal (and blow your whistle), not when the request was made.
I don't this that this situation is as clear cut as some would like to make it.

First of all, if the ball is touched/controlled by the rebounder and the whistle is immediately blown to stop the clock, it is POSSIBLE that by the time the timer went to click to start the clock, he/she heard the whistle and stopped the action of starting the clock. This is even more likely to be the case if the timer heard the conversation between coach/official regarding the request.

I would say that tests could be run to verify how much time actually runs off a clock in these situations. I would guess that the time is more like 1/10 to 2/10s of a second -- NOT 4/10s of a second.

I would agree that it would be great if there would be a case that would tell us to take a specific amount of time off the clock in a "rebound/TO" or "catch/TO" scenario. I think that 2/10s is a better option -- since 4/10s actually allows for a possible catch AND SHOOT. But, we would know that AT LEAST 2/10s would be taken off the clock -- more if there was a bobble, etc.