View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

It was my post earlier, you referenced. "I Made a Mistake"

Coaches do have to attend a rules meeting, either the same one we do, or the "Coaches Association" meeting. Coaches only at that one, I can't say if what is said there matches up with what is said at our's.

In my situation, a coach was ejected in the first round of the playoffs for using a magic word and then charging an official (moi), and would ordinarily be required to sit out the next game. His AD appealed to the state, that his ejection was the result of poor professionalism by the officiating crew, which is like a buzz word in state meetings. So he was permitted to coach their next two games.

I have not heard any official word, except that "ejections and their ramifications are not eligible for any appeal, however, in the event that an ejection is not solely the ejected individual's fault, and the enforcement of consequences might punish teammates who had done nothing wrong consequences may be delayed."

The language orignally used that the ejection was under appeal was the newspaper's interpretation of consequences being delayed.

That coach will be required to take the NFHS coaching class on-line and pay its fee, and he will sit out 2 games next season. 1 for the ejection, and 1 for gross misconduct towards game officials. He has also been put on notice that if he acts in such a way towards officials again he will be suspended for 1 year. (He and I had coffee and a bagel at the girls' tournament this weekend)

Oh, and I spent my first 4 years in IHSA, they have not always been so "supportive" of officials, but I hear they have gotten much better.