Thread: Me and the Cup
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I that you are more likely to get hit working football or basketball. The thing is taking a line drive to the groin in a baseball game is capable of causing serious heath problems; above there are stories of possible amputations. The chances of a basketball causing serious damage are a lot lower.
Getting hit by anything can cause a serious injury if you are hit properly in that area. I do not know why a basketball is the only threat of an injury. And in baseball the only real threat is probably the baseball. When bodies are all around you can easlily get kneed, kicked, ran into and that is not very common in baseball, espeically with two umpires and where you are located on the field. And that was not the point of why I said what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I've had a basketball thrown into my face and it wasn't really bad at all. Baseballs move faster and are harder. I assume that if someone had thrown a baseball and it had hit me in the face it would be been more painful.
If that is the case, I have had a baseball hit me on throws that were deflected, but those did not hurt.

The point is not what could or could not hurt the most. The point the likelihood of being hit on the bases (if you are in any kind of shape) is rare and not something most people would get hit straight on. And I have never worn a cup on the bases and I have been fine. I have been hit, ran into or made contact with players or the ball in other sports and I do not think wearing a cup is essential there either. And on the bases it is not like the ball is not easy to see or know it is coming. I have not even been hit in the "playoffs" behind the plate and I am a stationary figure. In baseball while working the bases, I am not a stationary figure and have plenty of room to move.

As I said before, if it makes you feel better, wear a cup. I do not care what you do. I just see it as another thing to worry about that I find personally unnecessary. It is not like I am going to check what you are doing. The same as I am not going to check for a catcher either.

Peace