View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Which is where I say HTBT, perhaps. The runner was out by about a step and a half, but the throw was behind F6, so he had to reach behind to make the catch. As his momentum carried him across the bag, R1 and F6 made contact, causing the ball to be dropped by F6. It was obvious it was not intentional, but he also did not appear to be avoiding contact, either. He ran straight to the bag but did not overrun the bag.

After digesting this, I'd say we should have called the FPSR violation as outlined in 8-4-2f and rang up the DP. However, I also feel it would have been hard for R1 to avoid the contact unless he slid, of which he is not required. However, inadvertent or not, the rule should still apply and the violation penalized, since contact was not avoided and the play was altered by the retired runner.

We'll get 'em next time. Thanks for the input.
Keep in mind, he doesn't have to avoid contact--an attempt to avoid contact will suffice. As soon as F6 moves in the direction of R1, all R1 has to do is show that he is attempting to avoid F6--whether he succeeds is irrelevant.