View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Scoreboard reads 6 fouls on team A before this play.
A1 fouls B1, and then A1 receives a technical for some choice words. B1 shoots his 1st shot of the 1 and 1 bonus with the lanes cleared and misses. Scorers table calls me over and says there is a mistake and there are now only 6 fouls for team A instead of 7. Can I count the missed shot as the first of the technical foul? Or do I start over with the 2 technical fouls only with any team B player shooting them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Actually, the reason is that this is a correctable error situation, in which the officials have awarded unmerited free throws.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
But you need a reason to justify that the FT which was just awarded was truly an unmerited FT and not the first of the two merited FTs.
Certainly B1 was instructed to shoot the FT for his "1 and 1". Given that B gets to choose who shoots for the T, stating that the first missed shot was given in error and that now we will shoot 2 for the T is the correct way to go. The scorekeeper interrupting the game to get the official's attention also clearly shows that the right thing to do is start over with 2 shots.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Mar 09, 2009 at 11:17am.