View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:55am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Speaking as a retired teacher, who is now working as a chemist, and who is quite familiar with research reliability, some of what you state is correct, but Wikipedia is a good place to start research, but, like any research, followup research, as in other, additional sources, is always required.

And, Wikipedia might not be as unreliable as you may think: Reliability of Wikipedia: Information from Answers.com
Be careful where you tread. I know many colleges have blocked Wikipedia, because they don't accept it's reliability level. The college where I teach at, we have to actually go onto Wikipedia when a student cites it, and decide for ourselves the reliability of the actual citation. More often than not, in my field (Sign Language Interpreting), the Wikipedia information is either skewed or incomplete, so the students end up hurting themselves using Wikipedia. That's why I admonished the OP for citing Wikipedia, because the tone of the Wikipedia entry was obviously so anti-Dixon that it had to have come straight from a hating fan, therefore worthless to be cited on this website.