View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
With this in mind, if the Trail's last knowledge was that Team A had control and Player A1 was the last known touch to the Trail (even though he knows there was some action following this touch) and Player A2 was the first to touch it in Team A's backcourt, Why not blow the whistle, keep your palm up without signaling a violation and quickly ask your partner for any information differing from yours.
We don't do this because of 2 reasons:
First, you're making a call you're not sure of, and hoping your partner saw something different and will bail you out if you're incorrect. If the scrum for the ball was outside of his/her primary, there's a good chance they didn't see anything.
Second, it's not proper mechanics. How does your partner know what you've called if you haven't made a signal yet? Are you running across the court to tell them what violation you've got and check with him/her to see if they've got something different? The only time I hold my signal is when there's a double whistle.

I'd rather miss a foul/violation that actually happened, rather than make a call and penalize a team for something that didn't.