View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
I don't know where you stand, but I have NEVER been hit with a foul tip.
Good point It's impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
I go commando. How do I fix it now?

Humor intended.

I got a little crazy when the post gave me a headache with the ransom note looking typeset.

Seriously though, I have not seen any credible evidence that any specific mask is related to any specific injury. There can be several, if not many, factors that caused the injuries to some of these guys. As I said earlier, two that I know of personally, were HSM wearers. I'm sure some were wearing new-view, some were traditional style, various manufacturers involved, etc.

I think that the fit of the mask, the speed of the ball at the time of the hit, the angle of your neck, spot on the mask or hsm where the ball hits, possible flinching immediately before the hit, etc., etc., etc. are ALL factors. We are just speculating and branding a certain style of mask as the culprit.

I don't think we can scientifically or with any degree of certainty determine a single cause or pinpoint the injuries to any single style or brand of the equipment with all of these factors.

As I said, I wore the black new-view mask as my only mask for two seasons with no problems whatsoever, got the gray one and no problems, now the Titanium and no problems. I also had a Honig's single bar traditional and no problems there either. I wear all my masks very loose and they usually spin and sometimes actually fall off my head when hit. I have not had headaches, jaw aches, sore spots, neck stiffness, etc. from any of the hits which are at least 14 or more times with any of the masks I wear. ( I work primarily high school varsity, American Legion in the summer, NAIA, NCAA D-II and D-III and some very good 14yo and up travel ball in the summer)

So, unless someone has research based data,-Stop spreading rumours. We are all at risk of injury with anything we wear. We know this going into the job. Right?
You're never going to find any credit research because it's not worth the researcher's time to invest money into such a small market. On the other hand, you're never going to find credit research that isn't the case either.

You are correct I probably shouldn't spread "rumors" but the question was "Wasn't the Nu-View mask the one that many of the MLB guys were wearing when they received concussions this past season?". I think it's a true statement that some umpires in the past season received concussions while wearing the mask. Am I wrong? Anyways...Bury the topic

-Josh