Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 10:46am
#thereferee99

Hey Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
One of my biggest problem areas in basketball is I'm missing things that are happening in the paint when I'm working lead in 2 man. Yesterday I had 3 rec games (11th and 12th grade) and missed a tipped pass that went out of bounds and a deflected dribble that went out off of a foot. Both right in the paint, fairly crowded with bodies.

I do tend to stand near the baseline so I'm wondering if I'm narrowing my field of view by being too close to the players. Perhaps I could back off the b'line.
I'll offer a couple of thoughts.

With bodies in the paint you are probably focusing on illegal contact. This is a good thing to be focusing on here.

As lead you are responsible for calling your line. You don't (and won't) always have to know who the ball went out on. Raising your hand and looking to your partner for help is always an option. Even if you make a call, if you think there was a possible tip in there, check them (as you move into position to administer) to see if they have some knowledge that you don't.

Players have 'cooties' -- don't get too close. Try to stand back far enough to see the whole play. Not all gyms will allow you to get the look that you want, but fight for what you can get.

Experienced official with 'Blue' in the name... I'd rely on that 'other' experience -- fight to get the angle you need to officiate the play. You know when you have it, and boy, you know when you don't.