View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef View Post
Folks, A few more questions & hopefully I'll be a happy camper.

If the Fielder leaves their feet in fair territory and catches the ball over the fence and then lands over the fence in dead-ball territory, it is still a catch correct???
Rule books differ in their requirements for what is a catch versus not a catch when the fielder goes out of bounds. However, as far as I know (and other guys correct me if I'm wrong), if a fielder catches a fly ball (meeting all of that org's requirements for what constitutes a catch) with both of her feet in live ball territory and THEN goes out of bounds, it's a catch, regardless of the rule organization. If the fielder has control of the ball with both feet in live ball territory, ASA calls this one a catch. It doesn't require the fielder to take a step or two steps or make a football move, etc. Both feet in live ball territory + control of ball in glove OR hand = catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef
If the Fielder reaches over the fence to catch the ball, the ball hits the heel of the glove and the ball then comes back over the fence in fair territory and hits the ground, it is a fair ball that is in play like any other ball hit into the outfield, correct???

So long as the ball never touched anything in dead ball territory, yes. It's the same as if it had been hit to the middle of the outfield.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.