View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In actual practice, the ball must touch something on the other side, because outfielders can legally reach over and bring back a ball for an out if it is still in flight. The rule isn't that precise in the wording, however.
I guess what I am struggling with is the Rule 5.1.1 [Dead Ball] wording that states Ball becomes dead immediately when a fair batted ball, which is on or over fair ground, goes over, through or wedges in the field fence.

This appears to be the equivalent of the over the cylinder in basketball and a kick going over the goal line in football. The ball appears to be dead immediately when it goes over the fence.

How can a fielder catch a dead-ball by reaching over the fence and it still be a catch. I can't find any other rules that support this nor can I find a case book play which supports this. I took at look at the ASA, NCAA, and Pro-Baseball rules and they don't have such a dead-ball rule.

If a catch is supposed to happen, why wouldn't the rules reflect that the ball wouldn't be dead until it hits something in dead-ball territory???