Thread: Charge?
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Are you 100% sure this is the case? Then call the T. If you are only 95% sure, then do not call it. That is why you do not see it called often - it is a severe penalty, so you better be absolutely sure the only intent was to deceive, and there was absolutely no other reason that player was on the floor.

I called it about 5 years ago. It was obvious to everyone in the gym, and it came even after mentioning it to the coach after the player had tried the same thing earlier in the game. Similar to calling a T for the actions of the crowd - it can be called, but how often do you actually see it? (Last night's Santa Clara/Gonzaga game, perhaps...) There are other methods of handling those situations, rather than going directly to the T. But if it becomes that obvious, then by all means, penalize accordingly.
Really? How many times have I read on this board that a "Technical Foul is JUST a foul" that we are to call with no other "emotion or fanfare than any other foul."

Really? NFHS must not feel that way they do not include a caveat or warning after describing the penalty for faking a foul.

I am not advocating that every game needs this call but I am saying when it is clear to the referee that a player is trying to cheat by faking being fouled why not treat it as any other situation where the rules clearly state the penalty for a foul and it is clear to the referee that faking has occurred? Why should referees look for "other ways to handle the situation" when the rule book clearly states how to handle it?