Thread: Backcourt
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 31, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Contradiction

I hate to contradict anyone on this forum because it seems to get a lot of people excited. I'm going to state my case again.

A player dibbles down the length of the division line with one foot and the ball in the front court, and one foot in the back court. With each step along the division line the dribbler's BC foot is lifted and replaced into the BC. Per rule 4.4.6, this is okay.

A player receives a pass while straddling the division line. He lifts his BC foot and replaces it into the BC. Per rule 4.4.2, this is NOT okay.

SAME FOOTWORK; two different rules. Dibbler is okay and a pivoter is not. In my mind set this is a contradiciton. I can call it properly during a game and probably even explain it to an irrate coach. But, as hawkk labelled it, philosophically this is a contradiction.

I readily understand BBRef's point - similar to in-bounds and out-of-bounds. When the pivoter raises his BC foot he is now located in the front court.

I also understand Bob Jenkins point that without rule 4.4.6 a dribbler might be unable to change directions at the division line and still legally get the ball into the front court. [Remember the regulation girl's game of three teammates on each end of the court and no dribbling across the division line?]

I contend that rule 4.4.6 could be simply reworded to make both situations legal and remove the "philosophical" contradiction. Try this:

During ball movement from BC to FC, the ball is located in the FC when either both feet of a dribbler and the ball (three points), or both feet of a player holding the ball (two points), touch the court entirely in the FC. This, of course would allow the pivoter to not be in the front court until both feet got there.

Does anyone else find the organization of our rules a little antiquated and confusing? For Heaven's sake we still have rules that seem to reference the use of baskets - not a ring and net but a bushel basket. Rule 5.1.1 " A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and REMAINS IN or passes through."