View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
I have seen this called several times but I think the call is incorrect.

A1 take a set shot, looks like a jump shot but never leave his feet. B1 attempts to block the shot and on the follow through lands on A1. The ball is clearly gone prior to contact. The shot is missed. Neither team is in the bonus.

The referee awards A1 two shots.

I know an airborne shooter is protected but this is not an airborne shooter.

I am missing something.
I have seldom seen (other than in black and white films from the 1950s and early 1960s) players truly take a set shot -- i.e. a shot without jumping at all. From the 3rd grade through college, players nearly always jump on shots -- there are times when some players don't jump at all, but that is not common from what I have seen. They may use the jump to help propel the ball as opposed to using the jump to elevate prior to shooting the ball, but they are jumping nonetheless.

If there is a question as to whether the shooter has landed, I will give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter and this becomes a shooting foul. If the player has landed and is hit on the follow-through by a crashing defender, the foul will be a common foul on the non-shooter (only shooting if in the bonus).

If the player truly doesn't jump and the ball is clearly away, the "act of shooting" has completed. Any foul that occurs after that point should not result in the penalty for being fouled in said "act of shooting" (i.e. 2 or 3 shots regardless of the team foul count in that particular half).