View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I guess it depends on what you consider "hospitality".

According to the ASA Code, the bidding agency is responsible to house and feed the umpires during scheduled games. If they are housed in a hotel with a breakfast, then they must provide lunch and dinner; otherwise, they must provide 3 meals a day when games are played.
Steve,

Don't know where you are reading this, but the only requirement I can find in the code is the host is responsible for umpire fees and housing.

I understand what should happen and, as an umpire coordinator, what you are directed to do, but I can see nothing that is actually in black and white.

And I have a feeling I know where Brian's non-existent party took place. We had one where the party was pizza on the porch attached to trailers which acted as a very crowded dressing room for the umpires. Only problem was that every person associated with the tournament, their family and friends were all invited and the umpire basically got what was leftover. And there were also hot dogs if the umpire wanted to fire up the grill and make them.

At the tournament I UICd, I pretty much had to beg for some help in putting together something at the last second. When I originally asked what may have been planned, those running the tournament just had a blank stare. Nice people, but they were totally clueless. I helped put something together with the help of a couple other umpires.