View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This always gets me. I try and treat everyone in a game that I officiate how I want to be treated. Its how they act that determines how I will be towards them. I will treat all coaches and players with the same respect that most officials only reserve for the HC and captains. Why does it have to be that way? If an assistant is acting cordial why just glance them over like they do not exist. That type of thinking only sets us back. Why should we punish others over past bad experiences with different people. SImple holding an assistant coach position does not make them useless, no matter how much we might joke about it.
I think this is an over-simplification of how many officials treat assistants. If assistants are clearly being helpful to their team I do not see many officials not talking to them. What often happens is that assistants want to argue situations or calls and that is not acceptable in my opinion. Or the assistant wants to talk when the head coach is talking directly to the officials. I do not know about you, but I am not going to have a two on one conversation when the head coach is the only person responsible for that information. I am not sure any of this took place here, but I do not know many officials simply dismissing assistants without some level of provocation.

Peace