View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Year End Reviews

As a part of a mentoring process I did the first of several training/evaluating sessions to come last Saturday with a guy who has been at it for a few years.
Saturday the concentration was to be on "Staying in your Primary" and fmoving to get into the best position to make the call. During the first half of the first game he was all over the floor coming to get stuff in front of me that I had passed on, after a talk and fishing some of obvious stuff out of his pond in the third quarter to show him what it was like not to be trusted, we got on the same plane for about another 1-1/2 games. The next game he went all bonkers on me and was calling all over the floor.
So I let him go and live with his calls until he blew a rule enforcement and then I just fixed it without giving him an option.
(he counted the basket on PC foul by the airborne shooter).

After the last game - we talked for a while about why he thought that he had to come 45 ft from the baseline (new lead in transition) to get a travel in front of me, or why he got a shooting foul from the opposite side lead position on a shot above the free throw line 4 ft away from me?
And I pretty much reamed him for those and several other calls, not because he was right or wrong, but beacuse there was action in his primary and he was watching the ball. I may have been harsh but the back slide - kind of ticked me off.

I really questioned if he understood the team work involved and trusting your partner(s) as well as primary coverage?

My perspective in doing this from the floor is this:
Never to let them blow a rule,
but yes if there is a judgment call right there and it is not effecting the out come of the game and they kick it they live with it (in close game I may ask them exactly what they saw but I can not change it for them)
Because that is a part of the learning process also.
How they handle the recovery, the coach the crowd, etc.

I never (except on a blown rule) actually change the call, I'll give them the information and let them do it, again as part of the process.

This guy has been in this same cycle for about 2 - 3 years now I don't see him moving on as the light isn't staying on up there. But sometimes working with these guys and giving these evaluations will help them and me too.

I have the first of two of them coming up where I am going to be evaluated by higher level College guys from on and off the floor.