View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

"An actionless contest"...?

Morning all-

Saturday boys V game. I had the JV and had some time before my next stop, so I hung out to check out the big boys game when the following occurred:

2 man crew. Game played as per usual in 1st quarter. Home team gets up a couple of points in 2nd Q then slows down the offense a few times. They get a resounding 5 point lead and literally stopped playing- brought the ball over midcourt and PG stopped and held the ball for the remaining 4:45 of the half.

Groans in the stands. V team coach not happy and glaring at H bench. H coach sits down the end of his bench not looking at anyone except his PG. Players were chatting amicably while the clock ticked down. Players seems either amused or just shrugged shoulders.

Now, I know that there USED to be a rule (maybe in NCAA) that says the team behind has to force the action. The officials in this game made sure nobody sat down on the floor, or otherwise did anything except stand there.

I believe that I read in the rule or case book that the officials shall "not allow the game to become an actionless contest" or words to that effect. I can't seem to find that language now that I actually look for it.

I had to leave at halftime- 2 questions:

1- were the officials correct in allowing the stall for the last 4:45? (I lean towards yes, but reserve the right to change my mind for question 2 below)

2- what if they continued in the 3rd & 4th quarter? Since I cannot find the "actionless contest" language, I can't cite the rule, but my thought at the time was that if I were the official, I would obviously discuss it at halftime and have a plan- mine would have been (to frantically search for the rule to bail me out at halftime) and not allow the stall to continue in 3rd quarter, citing the "actionless contest" language. Since I can't pull the citation out, that may get me in some hot water..

Further getting myself into more hot water, I would have considered allowing H team to stall again in 4th quarter to protect the lead. For some reason, stalling in the 4th quarter, to me, is different than the 2nd and 3rd quarters which results in an "actionless contest".

So, if I were the V official, and I did what I was leaning towards doing, would I ever get another V game?