View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 12:04pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
Situation in a youth Rec game last night where 6'2 A1 recieves the ball on the blocks for a sure basket when he drops the ball. Defender 5'7 B1 kicks the ball intentionally as A1 is bending down to pick it up. A1 is pissed off as B1 could have kicked his fingers and says that is "F***in unsportsmanlike to be kicking at my fingers". B1 replies sincerely "that he just made a great defensive play by saving a lay up if A1 had picked up the ball."
No question that A1 should have been ejected for his language. Since when do we not call fouls for the F-word because we agree with the sentiment? Where the bomb is actually aimed at an opponent, it should be an automatic ejection (Folks -- just to rub it in a little, this is an item on my "list" referred to in a previous post. And it's a correct judgement, don't you think? Sometimes that list has been very helpful!)
Ejected? Are you serious? I would think seriously before ejecting a player for saying something that was not threatening. You could T A1 (although without being there, I am not sure I would do that--I would at least tell him to find some other words to use for the rest of the game), but you might be able to deal with the situation better than quickly issuing a T. I think your list might work well for you and the gmes you call, but I would have serious problems if I used it. Think about A1, he felt like B1 was trying to hurt him, an outburst is not unexpected, help him control it.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019