View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 30, 2002, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
Situation in a youth Rec game last night where 6'2 A1 recieves the ball on the blocks for a sure basket when he drops the ball. Defender 5'7 B1 kicks the ball intentionally as A1 is bending down to pick it up. A1 is pissed off as B1 could have kicked his fingers and says that is "F***in unsportsmanlike to be kicking at my fingers". B1 replies sincerely "that he just made a great defensive play by saving a lay up if A1 had picked up the ball."

I felt the play was potentially dangerous but did not know of any rule to T up B1 and so I just called it a violation for the kick and ignored cursing b/c I felt A1 was in the right. Eventually rough play escalated between these two and resulted in their ejection for fighting. In retrospect maybe a double technical at the time would have prevented the fight, but what would have been the grounds against A1? (B1 for swearing)

any ideas for this situation?

thanks
GTW
Troward,
A Technical foul on A1 for cursing would have gotten both players' attention early.
If you thought B1 committed an unsporting act, then you could have enforced a technical foul for "an unsporting act".

However, if B1's kicking of the ball did not seem anything more than a violation (before A1 cursed), then I do not see how you can make a turn-around and put a T on B1 ex post facto, because you already ruled a "kick".

As I envision the play, an immediate technical on A1 probably would have sufficed and both players may have finished the game.

As you watched the rough play between A1 and B1 escalate, you may have stepped up to both players and mention to them that they have your attention and that they are now on notice for future actions.

mick