View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

SAump

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
As PU you better be busting your *** to get to the 45 foot line. If your partner gets PINCHED (ie. impeded in some way, trips etc.) you better be prepared to take BR to second. Easy coverage from there. No different than when your partner goes out on a fly ball.
Part I
I know some of you may be smarter and faster than some of us. But let's not turn this into an age or physical difference type of argument between PU and BU. If BU and PU are both on the foul line, then both are the same distance away from 2B. Okay, so both are identical clones and "almost" the same distance away from a place near 2B. The overthrow is toward the PU. Who should follow the ball into the fence and the carrom towards the backstop behind the plate? Who is already there to see a ball go dead? The PU would also have a hard time running in the opposite direction from a ball thrown in his direction. Now I can't see how a PU knew a bang-bang play was about to occur at 2B and how he felt he should hustle on over there to get the call right. I can't see why a BU would decide to go near a 1B coach in this situation.

Part II
Even if a player collides with the BU, PU taking runner to 2B has "covered BU's ask" written all over it. The BU must be standing too close to the action and not correctly reading a bad throw. If BU continues to mess the coverage, mess the bangor, and mess the coach's explanation; then only in private consultation would the PU provide a view of the play.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Feb 19, 2009 at 11:06pm.